My mother was raised by the ultimate housekeeper – my grandmother. Fastidiously neat, clean and organized, she would not sleep until her house was perfect.
Growing up my mother was not as strict on cleanliness, but she did describe to 5 home keeping rules that she insisted we all follow. These small things just made her life a little bit easier.
- Taking our shoes off before we walked in the house. Keeps the floors clean, scratch free, and there were never any shoes wandering around the living room. This doesn’t mean you have to go barefoot – you can keep a pair of indoor shoes for around the house (or slippers, whatever).
- Sweeping & mopping the kitchen floor before bed. My mother mopped. I think just sweeping is good enough.
- Make the bed every morning. Starts the day off on the right foot.
- Sort the mail when you get home. (Why is this one so hard?) Let’s be honest, if you don’t do it immediately, it’s just going to pile up more and more.
- Go to bed with an empty sink. I love this one, if only because waking up to dirty dishes is just overwhelming…
What are you must-do’s each day to keep your space looking great?